Monday, June 8, 2009

Egg Salad Sandwiches & Hummus

Organic Egg Salad Sandwich

  • 2 slices Ezekiel 3:9 Bread (I like the sesame ezekiel 3:9 by Food for Life)
  • 1 organic egg
  • 60 grams of organic hummus (recipe below)
  • squirt of organic spicy brown mustard to taste

Chop up egg, and mix with hummus and mustard. Toast bread and spread egg/hummus mixture on bread. Slice into two and enjoy.



Organic Hummus

  • 1 can organic chickpeas
  • 1/3 cup organic tahini paste
  • 1 clove of organic garlic - optional
  • dash of sea salt
  • Juice of 2 organic lemons or 4 Tbsp of organic lemon juice (I use Santa Cruz Organic bottled lemon juice because it's easy to have on hand).
  • Water
Blend all in a food processor until creamy smooth. Use spatula to push down once in a while and add a little water at a time until you get the right consistancy. You could change out the beans and also add all sorts of spices.

I always have this hummus in my fridge. It's so easy to make and so tasty. I also want to try my hand at making my own tahini. I get about 5 batches out of a store bought jar of tahini paste.

3 comments:

  1. Yum! I love hummus!! I love egg salad to but I just found out I am allergic to eggs :(!! So sad, I used to eat about 10 or more egg whites a day. Not any more!

    ~Justine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great recipes, Melanie!

    -Gena
    (www.choosingraw.com)

    ReplyDelete
  3. jj - sorry to hear about the allergies. I love eggs and all but gave up egg salad sandwiches when I gave up mayo. Love that I found something that tastes better than the mayo did.

    Eugenia - Thanks for stopping by. I just found your blog earlier today - LOVE IT :)

    ReplyDelete