Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Breakfast and Dinner eat's are thanks to two other blogger's.

Breakfast:

Thanks to some great blog's I've been reading, I've been seeing some yummy pictures of blended oat bran's with varying toppings.

One blog in particular has really influenced me to not only make oat bran, but to try making my own nut butter. Heather makes the yummies breakfasts and snacks.

I started this morning with trying to make organic sunflower seed butter. I read on her blog that you have to leave the nuts or seeds in the processor for 7-8 minutes in order to get past the "powder" stage. I tried using the magic bullet and while it wasn't too bad, it wasn't the creamy smooth sunflower butter I was hoping for. I think the motor gets overheated too much on the magic bullet. I'll try again in my food processor in the small bowl. All in all it wasn't too bad. It was just past the powder stage and starting to get wet and smooth. It still tasted wonderful with the oat bran.

The oat bran itself was wonderful. I use this as a breading along with some other items for chicken nuggets. I've never had oat bran as an oatmeal type cereal before and it was sort of similiar to the Malt-O-Meal that I ate as a kid. I definately like the oat bran better than oatmeal, although I do like oatmeal too. I think I'm going to work on finishing some of the oatmeal and make the oat bran my fall too breakfast grain.




Lunch:


Lunch was a hummus egg salad sandwich on an Ezekiel sprouted grain tortilla (sorry no pictures).

Pre Dinner Shopping Snack:

Lara Bar -Coconut Cream Pie


Dinner:


Here's my dinner and I'll tell the story of who influenced it below.

Salad: organic romaine lettuce, organic shredded carrots, sliced organic strawberries, organic raw sunflower seeds, and organic feta cheese.



Dressing: 2 tbsp organic balsamic vinegar, 1 tbsp organic olive oil, sea salt and pepper.





I must admit that I've been in food rut lately. Partly because we've been trying to use stuff in the house before going shopping, but also because it just got easy to eat simple quick foods that didn't require that much preparation. It's so hard to keep fresh fruits and vegetables in the house because it seems that it constantly goes to waste and since I try to eat only organic it gets so expensive.

This afternoon I made a comment on Maria's blog about a great post she had about making goals. She had taken a look at my blog and noticed that I really wasn't getting much fruit and veggies in. I'm so thankful she reminded me that I need to increase them.

I just happened to be going to Trader Joe's and Whole Foods after work, so the timing of her comment was really a God send. So after spending $160 at both stores combined, mostly on produce that was all organic (man did that add up fast - and I'm sure Bill is going to freak when he see's the amounts, lol). The good thing is, that I've got plenty of fruits and veggies. Bill thought I was nuts for the amount of fruit I have in the house. He says there is no way I can eat that much since it probably will last only a week. Note to self.......buy less and go back the second week.

After Dinner Snack: 1 organic Kiwi


No comments:

Post a Comment